Thursday, January 7, 2016

Moravian Cookies


Every year I get Moravian cookies for Christmas to share with my family.  My sister-in-law Katharine Woodwell (AKA Bobbie) and Howard were raised as Moravians.  The cookies kind of strengthen "the ties that bind."  Since I started painting the gifts sent to me, I have painted the cookies, cookie tins and a Moravian star.  This year, I decided my thank you card should have a Moravian church.  I went on-line and found one in the town of Clemmons, North Carolina, where Katharine and Howard grew up.  That church is not particularly attractive to me, so I made a painting of Hope Moravian Church, in Winston-Salem.

The cookies are very thin and always come from Mrs. Travis Hanes, who does live in Clemmons.  Her cookies are hand-rolled, hand-cut, and hand packed.  I might add that they are also very delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm....yes! Moravian Cookies embody a part of Christmas for me and always will. Just the scent of them brings a depth of emotion and memory for me. This is a lovely painting, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete