Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Thank you Jenifer!


I am still reviewing my bounty from Christmas and sending out thank you cards.  I got some amazing dichroic glass earrings from my daughter Jen.   Dichroic glass is very interesting, and my little painting does not do justice to it.  It is similar to iridescent, but actually appears different colors in different lights.  Sometimes my earrings look green, sometimes blue, and sometimes have gold streaks through them.

Dichroic glass is not new.  There is a famous example in the British Museum called the Lycurgus
Cup. It is from the 4tth century and the effect is evidently the result of silver and gold particles in the glass.  When lit from the front, it appears to be green, but when lit from within or behind, it is a purplish red. 

I'm not sure I understand the manufacture of modern dichroic glass, such as that used in the earrings.  It has something to do with filters developed for NASA and layering glass with metals or oxides.  Whatever the reason, these are very beautiful earrings, with sterling silver settings.

Another fun thing about them is the Jen bought them at one of my favorite California events--the Gilroy Garlic Festival.  Fun to remember that.

Thanks, Jen.  I will treasure these.

No comments:

Post a Comment