Sunday, July 26, 2020

SCRIBBLE PORTRAIT OF SOPHIA




This requires a little explanation to appreciate it.  This is a portrait from a photograph taken about 5 years ago.  Sophia was learning to sew and made a dress.   

I call it a scribble portrait because of the method I used to draw it.  In my Wednesday Studio class, Ellen Cornett taught us how to enlarge or transfer a drawing to watercolor paper using scribbles.  It's a system that you can find out more about on-line by googling David Popa.  It uses a free app called Photoshop mix.  

It's too hard to explain the whole process in a blog, but you overlay a photo of your scribbles with the reference photo you are using.  In this case, this is what it looks like:


The scribbles provide guidance on where to draw the figure.  Using the scribbles on the paper, it is fairly easy to find where to put various parts of the drawing.  That's what I did.  I drew through the scribbles. When I was satisfied that I had the drawing, I erased the scribbles and then did the painting.  

It would have been easier had I placed more scribbles in the facial features, but I think it worked pretty well.  Even more importantly, I think Sophia liked it.

 

1 comment: