Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Grateful for Moravian Cookies

 




Every year for the holidays, I get Moravian Spice and Moravian Sugar Cookies from my sister- and brother-in-law, Catharine and George Woodwell.  What a treat.  Catharine Woodwell (who we call "Bobby") is Howard's sister.  We call her Bobby because, when she was a baby, he called her "Bobby" rather than Baby...it just stuck!  All the family calls her that.  

When I want to write a thank you note, I feel like I have to paint something Moravian.  It just seems reasonable, but new ideas are hard to dream up.  This year, I decided to do a sketch of the Rondthaler-Gramley house in Salem, North Carolina.  It on the campus of Salem College and was the residence of the college president.  Howard's grandfather was college president for several years, and I think Mr. Gramley was also a president.   

My little sketch doesn't really do the building justice, but it was fun to do and I hope George and Bobby appreciate my thoughts and my thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Oh so wonderful, Carolyn! This is a beautiful story and beautiful painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Story and such a good memory for details 🤗

    ReplyDelete